Refugee Week – June 15th – 21st
Refugee Week takes place every year across the world around World Refugee Day on the 20 June.
This year’s event runs from 15th to 21st June and is the
This year Refugee Week reaches is 22 years of celebrating the contributions, creativity and resilience of asylum seekers and refugees.
The theme of Refugee Week 2020 is ‘Imagine’
In the UK, Refugee Week is a nationwide programme of arts, cultural and educational activities that celebrate the contribution of refugees and asylum seekers to the UK and encourages a better understanding between communities.
Refugee Week is a grass-roots festival, so anyone can take part by organising, attending or taking part in activities. Events are held by a wide range of arts, faith and community organisations, schools, student groups and more. Past events have included arts festivals, exhibitions, film screenings, theatre and dance performances, concerts, football tournaments and public talks, as well as creative and educational activities in schools.
The aims of Refugee Week are:
- To provide platforms for asylum seekers and refugees to be seen, listened to and valued; and to showcase the talent and expertise that people bring with them to the UK.
- To encourage a wide range of events to be held throughout the UK, which facilitate positive encounters between people who have experienced displacement and the wider public, and encourage greater understanding of both the reality of seeking asylum in the UK, and the situations of war, persecution and violence that force people to leave home and seek sanctuary.
- The ultimate aim is to create a culture of welcome in the UK, with better integration and understanding between communities, enabling people seeking sanctuary to live in safety and to practice and develop their skills and ambitions.
Celebrating in Wales
There are a numbers of activities taking place in Wales, to celebrate Refugee Week Wales. For more information about this year’s event go to www.refugeeweek.org.uk/in-your-area/wales
This year we’re extending the celebrations of Refugee Week into July to give more time to celebrate all these themes.
Would you or your organisation like to be part of the festivities of Refugee Week (15th to 21st June) and the surrounding months.
There’s a number of ways you could support the festival:
- Organise an event – contact us to let us know details and we’ll include your event on this website.
- Be part of an event or an exhibition organised by another group – get in touch to let us know your interests and skills and we’ll do our best to match you up to group organising an event.